Saturday, August 19, 2006

New Disc Fork


Ooh check it out!

So I totally bent the fork on my CX bike. It's clear and distinct, and right at the top of my disc mount.

Yesterday I built myself a new one. Instead of using that crappy little in-line cable adjuster that Avid gives you with Road BB7s, I put an barrel adjuster braze-on on the upper end of the left-side fork blade and a cable stop near the bottom. That way it's adjustible *and* has less cable compression.

It took me 3-4 hours minimum to cut my disc mount out of 1/4" 4130 plate, but I think the result is pretty nice. I gave it a real long platform, to distribute the braking forces along a whole bunch of the blade. Plus I cut most of the forward edge of the mount out so that the blade & disc tab form a "d". I'm hoping that the mount itself will flex a little bit, reducing stress on the fork blades.

Hopefully it'll stand up better than my last fork, which bent after <100 miles. Oh well.

No comments: